Wednesday, August 22, 2012

WIP Wednesday - dissapearing 9 patch border

This week I'm working on a border row for my niece's quilt. The size of the finished quilt on the pattern is not big enough for her twin bed. I'm too lazy to do 'quilt math' so I've decided to just keep adding borders until the quilt drapes nicely over her bed. And since the quilting police don't live in my neighborhood, they'll be none the wiser.

I don't want each border to be solid fabric, so for this particular border I'm using the disappearing 9 patch technique...and I'm LOVING how easy it is! I looks like I spent lots of time cutting and piecing when in reality I got all the blocks sewn and cut on Sat afternoon.

Currently, I'm working on squaring up the blocks.  I spayed all the blocks with Best Press and pressed them with my new iron. I think the Best Press really helps to make the blocks flat and 'crisp'. (I'll do a review on Best Press later.)
press quilt blocks

To square them up I'm using my Shape Cut Plus ruler by June Tailor. The ruler has groove marks every 1/2 inch (you slide your rotary cutter in the groove to cut) and guide lines every inch.

I like using this ruler because the weight of the ruler keeps my block in place while I make the cuts, ensuring that the fabric doesn't slip. Fabric that stays in place = perfectly trimmed blocks.

To use this ruler for squaring blocks I place the ruler on top of my fabric and align the stitched seam with the horizontal guide line on the ruler...then center the block (left and right).
quilt block

Using my rotary cutter I trim off the extra fabric on the left and right sides. (I'm cutting these blocks down so that they are 5 inches square). 
quilt block
quilt block

This is what the block looks like after making the first two cuts.
quilt block

Next, I flip the block around and repeat the same process on the top and bottom of the block.
quilt block


When I'm done cutting I'm left with a perfectly square quilt block.
quilt block

The whole process takes less than a minute per block...which is wonderful when you have a giant pile of blocks to square up.

Next up...stitching them all together. We'll see how far I get with that before next week's post.
quilt blocks
My finished squared blocks...along with my pile of trimmed pieces.
 Happy stitching everyone!
- Kat  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂