Monday, August 20, 2012

My first 5K


A few weeks ago, I participated in my very first 5K. I ran the Brewers 5K Famous Sausages Run/Walk.  The entry fee supports the Brewers Community Foundation.

The Famous Sausages (they are mascots for the Brewers) start the race off.  And they ran the entire thing! It was blast to look around while running and see them with in the crowd.

The first 1/4 mile was very clustered as everyone was getting their pace down. Even though it was crowded I thought it was soo cool to be surrounded by that many runners at one time. I took my headphones out and just listened to the sound of footsteps on the pavement. It made me smile.

The race course weaved through the parking lot of Miller Park and after mile #2 there was a band of sailors in their dress whites, playing music! They also waved and called out encouragements. Right after the band we got to run through the service tunnels of the park and onto the field! We ran around the warning track (on the outside of the field) and back into the tunnels and then excited on the other side of the stadium.

The next part of the race wound us back through the parking lot and over to the finish line. I passed the bratwurst sausage in the last 1/2 mile. Again, it made me smile.

I did pretty well for my first 5K...I figured it would take me 32 minutes and I finished in just under that.  Here are my stats:
Out of 4000 people I came in 1287
Out of the 540 people in my age division I came in 216
My official time 31:46:36
My official pace 10:14

This race was a lot of fun and very well organized. Fans lined up along the route and were cheering us on.  Other runners that had finished before me were standing at the finish line shouting out words of encouragements.  Before and after the race the Sausages and Bernie Brewer (the main mascot for the Brewers) hung out with the runners and there were plenty of opportunities for photo ops. 

I had so much fun that I can't wait to sign up for next year's race!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂