Wednesday, August 15, 2012

WIP Wednesday - Spider wall hanging


This week's WIP Wedneday features a finished quilt!! Wooo HOOO! A completed project!

A few months ago (okay, maybe it was more like a year ago) I picked up the pattern "Eeek!" by Patch Abilities, Inc. along with the cutest spider quilt hanger (more on him below).

'Eeek!" is an applique pattern (my favorite) and the directions were very easy to follow. Of course I changed it up a bit so my quilt would be unique.

I opted to skip the word "eeek" and instead cut out a ghost using my Sizzix and fused him to the bottom right corner of the quilt. I decided to do raw edge applique to add texture to the quilt. I also off set my spiders and placed them at an angle instead of in a straight column.
Finished wall hanging!!!!!

I used Chenille by the inch for the spiders' legs...which made them super fuzzy (side note...the chennile fuzz gets everywhere when you are fluffing it...be warned).  Hot fix crystals = perfect eyes.
Fuzzy wuzzy legs

Hot fix crystal eyes
Lastly, when I quilted it...I quilted the spider web in only the top left corner. I actually made two of these. One of them went to my Mom who loves Halloween as much as I do. I quilted Mom's first and I used metallic silver thread for the web. I love love the look of it...but using the metallic thread with free motion quilting proved to be more of a challenge than I wanted/had time for. 
Metallic thread
So when it came time to quilt mine, I just used regular thread. I was super excited when I found the spider quilt hanger in an LQS. I think he 'completes' the quilt. 
Adorable spider
I love the way this quilt came out..and I can't wait for Halloween so I can display it!


-Hugs,
Kat  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂