Monday, January 20, 2014

Organize your Sewing Space - Week 4

I can't believe it's already week 4 of the 'Organize your Sewing Space' blog series. January is flying by. I'm sure your spaces are starting to look very spiffy. This week is all about storing your quilting rulers and embroidery hoops.

Let's start with all those quilting rulers. There are lots of different ways to store your quilting rulers including, slotted ruler holders and ruler racks that can be found online or in various quilt shops. Other options include the following:
*Clip them together with a binder clip and hang the clip from a peg board. You can also use shower and curtain rings or key rings through the hole at the top to hang them.
*Install hooks on the sides of tables, or book cases, and hang rulers from there.
*Hang them from a towel rack or a wire shelf.
*Rulers, can be stored flat on shelves, or tucked into drawers.
*Put them in magazine racks.
*I store the rulers that I use the most in a mail sorter/desk organizer.
Storing Quilt Rulers
 My other rulers get pinned up to my cork board, using tacks. I put one tack through the hole at the top of the ruler, and then add other tacks around the sides to secure the rulers in place.
Storing Quilt Rulers

Next let's talk about embroidery hoops. Embroidery hoops can also be stored in fancy holders that can be found online. My hoops are constantly in use and don't really spend much time in storage, so mine mostly live either on the table in my hooping station or on a shelf under my cutting table. But here are some other ways that you can store your hoops:
*Attach coat hooks or 3M hooks to the walls, or sides of tables, desks, or book cases and hang them from the hooks. 
*Store them in magazine racks.
*Hang them on a peg board.
*Hang them from over the door hangers (a.k.a. Christmas wreath hooks)
Machine Embroidery Hoop Storage

*Store them on 'S' hooks and hang from a wire shelf or towel bar.
Machine Embroidery Hoop Storage

*Remember that mail sorter/desk organizer from above? Well guess what? It's perfect for embroidery hoops as well!
Machine Embroidery Hoop Storage

*Have extra purse hooks? You know those things that are meant to keep your handbag off the floor at restaurants?
Machine Embroidery Hoop Storage

 You can hang your hoops from those as well!
Machine Embroidery Hoop Storage
Purse hooks can even be hung on the sides of bookcases.Machine Embroidery Hoop Storage

One more thing before I wrap up this post...did you notice those foam cushion thingies on my hoops? Those are Comfort Grips by Creative Notions.

I put them on all my hoops, and on my mother-in-law's hoops as well. I no longer have pain in my thumb when tightening hoops. They make it so much easier to grab onto the screw, that I can't imagine not using them. I will say this though..they do tear easily when you put them onto the screw..so be careful when you 'install' them. 
Comfort Grips
The tear in one of my comfort grips.
 Even with the tear, the grip still works great, and the package comes with multiple grips in it. So if you rip one to the point that it won't stay on, you can just toss it and grab another one.

That's all for this week. See you next week with more organizing tips!
-Kat  :)

1 comment:

  1. Awesome ideas that will be put to use immediately. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Welcome to Calico Cali Designs! I’m Kat, digitizer and sewing enthusiast. I learned how to digitize in 2010 from master digitizer Walter Floriani…it was an amazing experience. Soon instead of spending my time sewing, quilting and stitching out other people’s embroidery designs, I was sewing, quilting and stitching out my own embroidery designs. I created this blog, not only as a place to share my embroidery designs, but also as a place to share all the things I make, sew, paint, embroider, and create. You’ll see posts about my life, my studio, patterns I’ve sewn and products I’ve tested. I hope you enjoy reading these posts as much as I’ve enjoyed creating them. Follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/calicocalidsgns . Hugs!! – Kat

Followers