Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Organizational Tips - Week 1


Welcome to week 1 of tips on organizing your sewing space. Like many of you, my sewing studio gets very messy as I work on projects. I clean up in between projects, but I also like to be organized during each project. Otherwise it just gets too stressful trying to find my supplies when I need them. I'm going to share some of the ways I keep my studio organized with you over the next five weeks. Here are this week's tips.

Tip #1: Have a permanent home for notions. For example all of my pins go on a certain shelf. Once I'm done with the pins they go back on their shelf. That way, the next time I need to use the pins, I know exactly there to find them.

Tip #2: Store your scissors in a silverware caddy. I store mine in a summer time caddy that I bought a Wally World. I keep my rotary cutter and extra blades in there too!
Scirror storage
Store Scissors in Silverware Caddy
Not only is it bright and colorful, but it's also portable. So, I can carry the caddy around my studio with me from hooping table, to cutting table, to my sewing machine and all of my scissors are in one spot, and they are always with me. No more searching under piles of fabric to find them.

Tip #3: Store buttons and hot fix crystals in a nuts and bolts container. It has individual pull out drawers and can even be mounted to a wall. I bought mine at a local hardware store.
Button Storage
I like to sort and store my buttons by color.

Button Storage
You can also store hot fix crystals and other small items in the drawers.


That's all of the tips for this week. Sorting buttons should keep you busy for a few days :)
Come back next week for tips on storing fabric.

Happy sorting!
-Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to Calico Cali Designs! I’m Kat, digitizer and sewing enthusiast. I learned how to digitize in 2010 from master digitizer Walter Floriani…it was an amazing experience. Soon instead of spending my time sewing, quilting and stitching out other people’s embroidery designs, I was sewing, quilting and stitching out my own embroidery designs. I created this blog, not only as a place to share my embroidery designs, but also as a place to share all the things I make, sew, paint, embroider, and create. You’ll see posts about my life, my studio, patterns I’ve sewn and products I’ve tested. I hope you enjoy reading these posts as much as I’ve enjoyed creating them. Follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/calicocalidsgns . Hugs!! – Kat

Followers