Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Organizational Tips - Week 2


Hey everyone...welcome to week 2 of tips on keeping your sewing space organized. This week I'm going to talk about storing fabric.

Fabric should be stored in a way that keeps dust off of it. Lot's of people store their fabric in plastic bins. I tried that for a while, but it didn't work for me. I wanted to be able to see what fabric I had at a glance. I hated digging through the bins. So, I decided to store my fabric inside a china hutch. DH bought me one off of Craig's list. We paid $100 for it, and it's worth every cent.
Storing Fabric
My china cabinet of fabric goodness.
Not only is my fabric dust free, but it's sorted by color and it's the focal point of the room. I love walking into my studio and seeing the fabric. Fabric makes me happy, so why would I want it to be hidden?

Another option is to store fabric on book shelves or in cubbies. It's still visible this way, and the overhang of the shelves, help keep dust off the fabric.

I wanted to store my fabric standing up, like in a quilt shop. But since I don't have lots of empty mini bolts to wrap the fabric around, this meant I had to come up with an alternative method. So I made my own storage cards to wrap the fabric around.
Fabric card

To make the cards you will need the following supplies:
Storage card supplies

Cardboard, pencil, cutting knife, scissors.

Step one: Place your cardboard vertically onto of a cutting mat, and using the ruler, measure in one inch from the top and bottom ends (the shorter ends) and mark a one inch high line. Do this to all four corners.
fabric storage card tutorial
One inch from the shorter ends of the cardboard

fabric storage card tutorial
Next you will connect the lines.

Step two: Connect the lines. Do this on both sides of the cardboard.
Do this on both sides of the cardboard.



Step three: Using scissors cut out the part that I've scribbles on (see photo). You will be left with a capital letter 'I'.
Do this on both sides.

Step 4: Draw a zig zag line down the center of the cardboard. Do not go all the way from the top to the bottom. Stay about an inch away from the top and an inch away from the bottom. Using the knife, cut the zig zag line.

fabric storage card tutorial
Draw a zig zag line and cut it out.
You now have what I like to call 'monster teeth'. The teeth will hold the fabric in place. The card is finished and ready to hold your fabric.
fabric storage card tutorial
Grrrrrr Monster teeth

Step 5: Fold fabric so that the width fits the inside of the 'I' (see photo). Lay your finished card on top of the fabric. Tuck one end of the fabric into the teeth, and then wrap the fabric around the card.
fabric storage card tutorial
Tuck fabric end into the teeth.

fabric storage card tutorial
Ta-Dah!! Prettily folded fabric.

Step 6: Put fabric onto shelf, and admire it's beauty.
fabric storage card tutorial
Glorious Fabric!

That's all for this week. Come back next week for tips on storing your embroidery stabilizers.

Happy Fabric Folding!!
- Kat  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Welcome to Calico Cali Designs! I’m Kat, digitizer and sewing enthusiast. I learned how to digitize in 2010 from master digitizer Walter Floriani…it was an amazing experience. Soon instead of spending my time sewing, quilting and stitching out other people’s embroidery designs, I was sewing, quilting and stitching out my own embroidery designs. I created this blog, not only as a place to share my embroidery designs, but also as a place to share all the things I make, sew, paint, embroider, and create. You’ll see posts about my life, my studio, patterns I’ve sewn and products I’ve tested. I hope you enjoy reading these posts as much as I’ve enjoyed creating them. Follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/calicocalidsgns . Hugs!! – Kat

Followers