Friday, July 15, 2016

Mom's Studio Makeover

Last year I flew to Boston to visit my family and help my Mom set up her studio. When my parents first built their house, Mom was given a room to be her sewing studio. Of course as it often does, life got busy and her room became many things over the years, but sadly a sewing studio was not one of those things. It was my goal to change that!

Like me, Mom has lots of sewing supplies, and I could tell that she was a bit overwhelmed at having to organize and entire room full of stuff. Luckily for her...I LOVE and I mean LOVE organizing. I think I was more excited about the project than she was.

 I started by clearing out the entire room...and then slowly bringing items in. It took myself, my Mom and my Dad to get that nice new chair put together. It was a stubborn chair!

Mostly empty room.

After a quick trip to Joann's I was able to hang up thread racks on the wall. (okay, okay, Dad hung them up. I'm not an expect with power tools)
YES! Thread racks!


I put hooks on the wall to hang her embroidery hoops and quilting rulers from.
 

 I had a little too much late night fun putting together furniture. Wait....is there really such thing as "to0 much fun"?!?!  Maybe I should re-phrase that.

So many organizational options!


When I was sorting through her supplies, I found the floral plaques that I had given her as birthday gifts and Mother's Day gifts over the years. So of course I had to hang those up!

I filled this cabinet with baskets full of embroidery stabilizers, designs and other goodies.

Remember that furniture from earlier.....all filled with notions, patterns and more!


The completed thread wall! I just love looking at a wall full of color!


Counter top, cabinets, and everything Mom needs...right at her fingertips.


Super organized hoops! (The candle is one that we both bought on a shopping trip in Sisters, OR earlier in the year, therefore I had to put it on the counter so that she could think of me every day.)

Did I mention that I love to organize? I had my Dad install shelves in the closet. Meanwhile, I cut up cardboard boxes and spent a little bit of time, wrapping her fabric around them. And, of course, I put it on the shelf according to color.

Patterns, books, and magazines also got their own spot. As did sequins, beads etc.
 Everything is now labeled too!


 Dad also helped me adjust her cutting table to the correct height. An viola!! An amazing, organized sewing studio! Here are a few more after photos.



Once the room was done, I spent the rest of my trip visiting family, digitizing and test stitching out my designs in her new studio. Ergo, I'm confident when I say the new room is very functional.

I hope this studio makeover inspires you in some way.

-Kat  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂