Sunday, March 15, 2015

Hawaiian Quilt Blocks - done!

I finally finished two wall hanging's that I had in my unfinished project pile for a while. A long while.....6 years to be exact.

Back in 2009, my Mom and I attended the Original Sewing and Quilt Expo in IL. (It's still one of my favorite shows)...and we took a class by Kathy Kansier on how to make Hawaiian Quilt Blocks.

Quilt Block
Kathy Kansier and myself with the block that I made in class.
One of the tips Kathy gave was that if you carefully cut out your shape, you can use the outer fabric to make a 2nd block which would be the 'negative' of your original block. I loved this idea and was super careful when cutting out my shape.

Quilt Block
My two blocks.

My original intent had been to add borders to both blocks and make two wall hangings. I had thought about doing embroidery in the borders, but I changed my mind and unsure what to do, the unfinished wall hangings sat on the shelf. And then they got packed up and moved to Oregon. And then unpacked and put on another shelf.
Quilt Block
My amazing Mom working on her block. It was so much fun taking this class with her.

Quilt Block
Me and my Mommy.

Quilt Block
Working on my block in class.


Quilt Block
Me sewing during class. I love sit & sew classes, I always learn so much.

And then last month I was looking for something else and I came across them. Suddenly inspiration hit, and I knew just what to do with them. I put them on my longarm, and had a blast quilting them.
Longarm Quilting
I love this quilt pattern in the border.
Longarm Quilting
Quilting away!

Now they are  hanging in my studio. Their original destiny finally fufilled. It may have taken me 6 years, but they look fabulous! After all, done = beautiful!
Hanging in my studio!



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂