Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Non-Buisness Sign, Sign.

We live in an association with rules. Lot's of them. And one of those rules is that you are not allowed to have business signs displayed on your property. So I've been trying to think of a way to let my new longarm customers know that they have indeed driven to the right house with out putting up a business sign.

I've always wanted a giant barn with a giant quilt block painted on it. (In my dream world, the barn is my studio, and it's filled with gleaming hardwood floors, lots of cabinets and amazing light coming in through the many windows. Yes, my dream barn has windows).  We don't have a barn. But my husband does have a tall wood shop. And when we bought the place, he promised me I could paint a big quilt block along either one of the sides of it..or on the back. Well that's all good and dandy, but you wouldn't see it from the road. Quilting customers might still think they are lost (the association has lots of roads..newcomers always feel overwhelmed when driving the neighborhoods).

Then I remembered the shed. That's right..the house came with a shed, one that my husband wanted to move from the front of the house to the back, but he hasn't figured out an easy way to do it...and neither of us want to dismantle it to move it. So the shed stayed put, and I decided that it was the perfect place to put my painted quilt block. It's easily seen from the road so anyone driving by knows that a quilter lives in this house.
Quilt Block Shed Art
Ta-Da!! The Quilt Block!
 My amazing husband did most of the manual work on the quilt block (which in my head is my business sign disguised as art. Rule Loop Hole). He cut and sanded the wood for me. He drew the quilt block that I had picked out onto the wood. He painstakingly blocked off each and every area to be painted.
Quilt Block Shed Art
 I painted. Okay, he did a lot of the painting too. My husband did about 98% of the work on this quilt block, including hanging it up. He's amazing. I really am blessed.
Quilt Block Shed Art
My handsome husband painting away.

I'm so happy with how it turned out. I smile every time I pull into the driveway. And to my husband...Thank You Jeff. The quilt block is exactly what I wanted. You are the best. I love you.
Quilt Block Shed Art
My super amazing awesome Quilt Block Shed art in all it's glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂