Sunday, November 10, 2013

Embroidery on wood

Today's tutorial is how to embroider on wood. Yes, wood. It's unexpected and makes a fabulous gift. People will be amazed that you stitched on wood. The trick to this is Balsa wood.

noun: balsa wood
  1. a very lightweight wood used in particular for making models and rafts.
  2. the fast-growing tropical American tree from which this wood is obtained.
In this tutorial I'll show you how to make monogrammed jewelry box. Here's what you'll need.
Supplies
Balsa Wood  -1/16th thickness
Needle - 75/11 universal
Stabilizer - adhesive stabilizer
Thread - embroidery thread
Emb. Design (I used the built in font from my machine)
Unfinished wooden jewelry box
Scissors
Xacto knife
Paint & brushes
Glue

I purchased the unfinished jewelry box and the Balsa wood from my local craft store.

Balsa wood comes in different thickness, you want to purchase the 1/16th thickness. Be sure to buy a piece that's wide enough to cover the top of the jewelry box.
Trace the shape of the box onto the Balsa wood. Use the Xacto knife to gently cut the shape out. Balsa wood cracks easily...take your time and be gentle.
Paint the jewelry box and the Balsa wood in the same color. Let them dry. I used a fun acrylic glitter paint (also found at my local craft store).
Hoop a piece of adhesive stabilizer. I used Perfect Stick by Floriani. Place the Balsa wood on the stabilizer...center the design. I used a built in font from my machine to create the initial. (note - if you don't have adhesive stabilizer you can use a piece of tear-a-away and then use a spray adhesive. Hoop the cut-away stabilizer and spray the back of the Balsa wood with the spray adhesive. Place the wood onto the center of the hooped stabilizer)..

Use a 75/11 universal needle. Use your favorite embroidery thread. Stitch out the design.
Once done carefully un-hoop the stabilizer and using scissors carefully cut the stabilizer away from the Balsa wood. Do not tear it away as you might crack the wood. Start by cutting around the wood leaving a 1/2 inch or so of stabilizer around the wood.

Then turn the wood over, and using an knife carefully cut away the rest of the stabilizer.
Since I used adhesive stabilizer I left some stabilizer on the back, to help keep the wood from breaking. Be sure to trim it away from the edges of the Balsa wood, exposing about 1/4 inch of the wood.

Glue the Blasa wood to the top of the jewelry box.  Gently brush away any glue that comes through the needle holes with a wet paper towel. Let it dry.
Viola! Embroidery wood jewelry box!

2 comments:

  1. Nice idea especially for a first project that I am getting ready to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂