Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Running Shirt

Back in Nov, I started running again. It's been about 6 or 7 years since I had last been running on a regular basis. I bought a pair of Newton running sneakers and joined the Y.  I'm loving it there. Did I mention their pool has a water slide? What's not to love? I've been running on their indoor track...it works really well for me...except that I'm HOT. Even with a tank top on.  So I went to a few different chain stores to buy tank top with mesh on the sides. But I couldn't find one.

Then I got the bright idea..why don't I take one of the many dri-fit shirts that DH has, and modify it for me? I can cut off the sleeves and then add mesh on the sides and on the back. It'll save me $$ and I'll have fun re-purposing an old shirt.

It turned out DH had a dri-fit tank top that had accidentally gone through the dryer, and shrank. No longer fitting him. I quickly claimed it as mine.
 I had some left over mesh from a pair of running pants that I had shortened into shorts.
At this point, I should mention that other than hemming pants, I don't have a lot of experience sewing garments. But I was determined to make myself a shirt that was cooler.

I folded the mesh over on itself so that I had two layers of mesh and I cut out two pieces that were 4 inches wide and 12 inches long.

Next I pinned the mesh to the shirt, approx 3 inches down from the ummmm...arm pit hole (is there a technical term for that?) I also cut a triangle piece of mesh and pinned that on the back of the shirt, 3 inches down from the collar.
Using a zig-zag stitch I sewed the mesh panels onto the right side of the shirt.
I used purple bobbin thread  because I was too lazy to fill up a black one so that you could see the stitches better.

The next step was my favorite one, turning the shirt inside out, I carefully cut away the shirt behind the mesh panels.
When I was done, I was left with exactly what I wanted!! A dri-fit shirt with mesh sides. Not to shabby.

This has quickly become one of my favorite running shirts.  Maybe I should have laundry 'accidents' more often.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂