Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Quilt Blocking

A few weeks ago I learned about "blocking a quilt". I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a great idea to me..and I think it will help solve that little problem I sometimes get where my quilts don't "look" square.

For a really nice tutorial on how to block a quilt…check out this mini-lesson by Sylvia Landman at Quilting University's website:  http://www.quiltuniversity.com/blocking.htm

My friend Shannon recently took a class with Ricky Tims, and it turns out that he blocks his quilts, twice. He blocks the quilt top..and then once it's dry and square he layers up his quilt, quilts it..and then blocks the stitched "sandwich" before finally adding the binding.

So with that knowledge in hand, I've decided that blocking is definitely something that I must do. So naturally I've been researching it on the internet and I've come across these "blocking boards". Being the "gadget girl" (as my mother calls me) I feel that I NEED a blocking board immediately. I simply must have one. But, do I have a quilt ready to be blocked…ummm no. Do I have a quilt top even close to being stitched together that I could in theory be blocking soon….again, no.
But yet I really really want one! So what do you guys think?  What are the pros and cons of the blocking board?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I love all things crafty! Visit my website www.calicocali.com for tutorials, longarm quilting, svg designs, embroidery designs, nail decals, notions and more. Let’s Be Friends! Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/calicocalidesigns/ Follow us on Instagram: www.instagram.com/calicocalidesigns/ Subscribe to our Youtube channel so that you don’t miss out on any of our fun tutorials! I hope you love our designs as much as I enjoy creating them. Happy Sewing Everyone!!! – Kat 🙂